Friday, March 7, 2008

The Giving Tree


Author: Shel Silverstein

Genre: Fable

Summary: This story follows the friendship of a little boy and a tree throughout the boys life. He always turns to the tree when he needs something but forgets about the tree when he does not. The tree gives the boy his apples, his branches, his trunk, and even his stump. All the tree wants is to make the boy happy.

Comments: This is probably my favorite story I always get choked up when I read it. It reminds me of an unconditional love that a parent may feel for their child.

5 comments:

Kerri H. said...

I agree that this is one of the sweetest stories ever. Its poignant message is applicable to all ages. I remember re-reading it in high school and loving it even more.

Michele Ramsey said...

I, too, agree that this is one of the best ever!

krbuky said...

You simply can't improve on perfection or near perfection. This book is just so very beautiful and appropriate for all age groups. Reading the review has made me want to take my copy out and read it one more time again.

Jennifer Sethness said...

This is one of the books that I have always had in classrooms - those I've been in and those I've taught in. I have even used this book in college, with other teachers and students, as it is a beautiful book when read in sign language. This is definately something every teacher should have in his or her personal collection.

Jeannie Mulcahy said...

Another great thing is that not only do I love this story, but my kids love it, too; they are excited every time I pull it out. Plus, it offers some concrete ways to attempt to define "love".