Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Gingerbread Baby

Author: Jan Brett

Genre: Folktale

Characters: Gingerbread baby, Matti, the mother, the father, Martha and Madeline, the cat, the dog, the fox

Grade Level: Preschool - Fourth Grade

Summary: Matti decides to make a gingerbread boy cookie, but when he opens the oven too soon a gingerbread baby jumps out. Many people chase the gingerbread baby because they want to eat him, but he outsmarts them all. Matti ends up catching the baby by making him his own gingerbread house.

Comments: I like this version of the story best because the gingerbread baby does not get eaten. I also like that Matti is not trying to eat him. The students in my class also voted for this version.

1 comment:

pernella lee said...

I agree that this is a friendlier version of the popular Gingerbread Man stories. My children became very upset the first time I read the orginial story and I was forced to quickly amend the ending. The illustrations of Matti building the little house while everyone else is chasing the Gingerbread Baby makes this a great story.