Tuesday, April 1, 2008

ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAY!

Title: Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!
Author: Judith Viorst
Illustrator: Ray Cruz
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Summary: Alexander could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. He went to bed with gum in his mouth and when he woke up, he had gum in his hair. When he got out of bed, he tripped on his skateboard and by mistake, dropped his sweater in the sink while the water was running. Every thing that could go wrong, went wrong! Right down to having lima beans for dinner, and watching someone kissing on T.V.
Characters: Alexander, his family, friends
Comments: I read this story with my Kindergarten students and they loved saying, "It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day"! We were able to talk about the kind of day they have when they get out of bed in the morning. It was a great way to talk about our feelings and understand that we all feel like that some days. I recommend this for any age level, even Preschool.
Grade level: Preschool-3rd grade.

6 comments:

Jennifer Sethness said...

This is a book I remember reading when I was younger! Just hearing the title makes me chuckle to myself as I think of his bad day, and all of the ridiculous ones I've had that are even somewhat similar. I think kids love this story since they can relate to all of the different things that happen!

Ewelina K said...

Jennifer I totally agree with you…almost all kids can relate to those terrible, horrible things that happened to Alexander.

Kerri H. said...

Agreed on all accounts...a wonderful book that is just funny enough to address childhood frustrations in a safe way. And I still tell my mom that I had a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day" sometimes--she read me this book 1000s of times as a kid.

Jeannie Mulcahy said...

I agree, too. I love the way it is to easy to relate to and really legitimizes all of those feelings of being in a "bad mood". I've used this book as a writing prompt, and it's great for encouraging kids to really express their emotions in words.

Corrie Grano said...

I love this story! The kids can relate to it and laugh at the same time. We usually try to make our own "bad day" story as a follow-up activity. Great choice!

annebrady said...

I agree.. This book is great for promoting self expression and putting your feelings into words.Young children also love when they have a part or response to a story.