Thursday, January 24, 2008

Skippyjon Jones by: Judy Schachner

The book I chose is called Skippyjon Jones, and it was written and illustrated by Judy Schachner. This is a fictional story about a Siamese cat who gets himself into trouble and is sent to his room. While he is in there, he lets his imagination run wild. He pretends that he is a great sword fighter who goes on amazing adventures even though he is supposed to be thinking about what he did wrong. The really great thing about this book is that it includes many Spanish words that can easily be figured out based on the context clues around them. So even non Spanish speaking students can be entertained by them. At the end of each story, Skippyjon Jones and his mother make up, and she thinks that he has learned his lesson. The main character in this story is Skippyjon Jones. Other characters are: Mama Junebug Jones and Skippyjon Jones's sisters. I really like this story. I found it really easy to read, and my students are always very entertained by it. This story is best for grades K-3.

2 comments:

Kerri H. said...

I've always been curious about the Skippyjon Jones books. For some reason the illustrations led me to believe that they were silly or not well-written. Obviously, I've judged a book by its cover. Thanks for the review.

mhayden said...

I really like the Skippyjon Jones books. My students find him very funny they like to draw pictures of him.