Thursday, January 24, 2008

"Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch

Anne Brady

Title: “Love You Forever”
Author: Robert Munsch
Illustrator: Sheila McGraw
Genre/Theme: Traditional/Fiction

Summary:
“Love You Forever” is a book about the circle of life and the love between a parent and a child. It begins with a woman rocking her newborn baby singing “I’ll love you forever, I’ll like you for always, As long as I’m living my baby you’ll be.” The child grows and the mother continues to rock him and sing this lullaby each night as he sleeps until he is a grown man. Eventually, the mother is too old and sick to sing and the grown son cradles her and sings, “as long as I’m living my mommy you’ll be.” At the end of the story the man carries on the tradition with his newborn daughter.

Characters: The son, the mother, and the newborn daughter

Reader’s Comments:
I absolutely love this book and become very emotional each time I read it. It is a wonderful story for parents and children to share at all stages of life. I believe children find the sing-songy repetitive flow of the tale comforting and the colorful illustrations compliment each page beautifully and appropriately. I think Robert Munsch does a wonderful job conveying the beauty of the unconditional love a parent has for their child and how that love is passed through generations. I feel that the story leaves you satisfied with a sense of completeness at its end.

Grade Level Appropriateness: This story is written at a first grade reading level but I feel it can be enjoyed by readers of all ages.

6 comments:

Michele Ramsey said...

I am with you...I love this book!

mhayden said...

I like this book I find it very comforting for young children.

Anonymous said...

I agree I think this book is great. I bought this book for my niece and it her favorite book to read with her mother.

krbuky said...

This is one of my all time favorite books! At one of the schools I worked in, we had a very nice principal who heard me read it to my first graders. She asked if she could borrow it and returned it after she read it in her office. She was crying and told my group,"These are happy tears, boys and girls. I loved this book as much as you did." I relate to her reaction, all age groups will love this beautifully done book.

Ewelina K said...

This is one of my much loved books. I especially value this book now, when I became a mother.

Magdalena Rozowicz said...

I loved this book! I think it is a wonderful book for little kids and it would be great to read in class and by parents at home.